Presiding Judge Robert Henney has issued a stern warning that further disruptions in the high-profile trial of alleged underworld figure Nafiz Modack will not be accepted.
The warning came after a crucial witness, an inmate at Goodwood Prison whose identity is protected, withdrew from testifying last week.
The prisoner had been expected to provide evidence supporting the State’s case in the murder of former Anti-Gang Unit commander Charl Kinnear.
Key Witness Refuses To Testify In Charl Kinnear Murder Trial
Modack and 14 co-accused are facing more than 120 charges, including the murder of Kinnear, who was gunned down six years ago.
The inmate was due to back up testimony previously given by Independent Police Investigative Directorate deputy provincial head Mario September.
[Former North West Premier Bushy Maape Dies At 68, ANC Pays Tribute]
September told the court that the prisoner had identified the alleged gunman as a member of Ralph Stanfield’s 28s gang.
However, the inmate ultimately declined to take the stand, telling the court he feared for both his own safety and the safety of his family.
Judge Robert Henney Says Court Delays Are An Abuse
Henney agreed to excuse the witness temporarily and ordered that September be recalled to continue giving evidence.
Expressing frustration over the repeated interruptions, Henney said:
“Once again, I must stand down and wait for him. This is an abuse… and I’m warning this is not going to happen again.”
Nafiz Modack Trial Set To Resume On Monday
Proceedings are scheduled to continue on Monday, when Henney is expected to decide whether to close Modack’s case and move the long-running trial forward.
The case remains one of South Africa’s most closely watched criminal proceedings, centred on the killing of Kinnear and a wide range of organised crime allegations.


