Court To Rule On Chidimma Adetshina’s Possible Detention

Her legal team said Home Affairs had conceded that Adetshina herself was never implicated in the alleged birth registration fraud.

Court To Rule On Chidimma Adetshina’s Possible Detention
Court To Rule On Chidimma Adetshina’s Possible Detention

The Cape Town Regional Court is expected to deliver judgment on Wednesday on whether Chidimma Adetshina should be detained pending possible deportation.

The former Miss South Africa contestant was arrested in June after allegedly entering South Africa through the Lebombo border in Mozambique. She had previously been declared a prohibited person.

Chidimma Adetshina Faces Possible Deportation

Adetshina’s identity and travel documents were cancelled in October 2024 after her mother was accused of fraudulently registering her birth to a South African woman.

Her legal team said Home Affairs had conceded that Adetshina herself was never implicated in the alleged birth registration fraud.

[JMPD Arrests High-Profile Suspect Linked To Westbury Gang Violence]

Her lawyers said she was nevertheless declared a prohibited person after a fraudulent bank statement was allegedly submitted during a visa application while she was living in Nigeria.

Chidimma Adetshina Legal Team Disputes Visa Claim

Adetshina’s lawyers maintain that the disputed bank statement was submitted by an immigration agency handling her visa application.

They argue that she should not be held responsible for the document. The Department of Home Affairs is seeking her detention while it pursues the deportation process.

SEE TODAY'S TOP HEADLINES ACROSS LEADING PUBLICATIONS

At her previous court appearance, Home Affairs’ lawyer said Adetshina had re-entered South Africa in 2025 despite being on a visa-restricted list.

The department is relying on this as it seeks to have her detained. The court is expected to determine whether she should remain in custody pending the possible deportation.