SAPS Arrests Shadrack Sibiya Ally Stuart James Scharnick After Journalist Intimidation Case

“I was unable to take calls and reply to messages because I was busy registering a criminal case. I will now allow the law to take its course,” he wrote.

SAPS Arrests Shadrack Sibiya Ally Stuart James Scharnick After Journalist Intimidation Case
SAPS Arrests Shadrack Sibiya Ally Stuart James Scharnick After Journalist Intimidation Case

A Sowetan journalist has opened an intimidation case against Stuart James Scharnick, an ally of suspended deputy national police commissioner Shadrack Sibiya.

SAPS arrested Scharnick outside Brigitte Mabandla College in Pretoria on Thursday after he allegedly confronted journalist Herman Moloi. The incident happened during a tea adjournment at the Madlanga Commission.

Journalist Opens Intimidation Case Against Scharnick 

Moloi was taking photographs and recording visuals during the second day of suspended MP and National Coloured Congress (NCC) leader Fadiel Adams’ testimony.

He told the SABC that journalists had photographed Scharnick after he approached Adams. Moloi said Scharnick later questioned why he was recording him without permission.

“I’m telling him that we are authorised to take videos, and then he said, ‘Even yesterday, you took videos of me and posted on social media,’ and I’m like, yesterday I didn’t take any video of you,” he said.

[Fadiel Adams Denies Brown Mogotsi Helped Open Crime Intelligence Cases]

Moloi said Scharnick’s alleged behaviour, including pointing his finger and suggesting they continue their conversation outside, prompted him to open the case. Videos showing police officers detaining Scharnick subsequently circulated on social media. Moloi later reassured people that he was safe.

“I was unable to take calls and reply to messages because I was busy registering a criminal case. I will now allow the law to take its course,” he wrote.

“Thank you to everyone who checked up on me.”

Madlanga Commission Condemns Journalist Intimidation

The commission’s spokesperson, Jeremy Michaels, said the Madlanga Commission condemned unacceptable conduct towards journalists. He said journalists play an important role in communicating the proceedings to the public and the world. “We will not tolerate this,” he said.

Scharnick has previously been mentioned during proceedings linked to the wider investigation.

SEE TODAY'S TOP HEADLINES ACROSS LEADING PUBLICATIONS

KwaZulu-Natal police alleged last year that a SAPS employee manipulated the criminal records system to hide his history of cases, including 10 motor vehicle thefts and eight carjackings. The cases were allegedly consolidated into a plea that resulted in a five-year suspended sentence and a R150,000 fine.

Police also alleged that Scharnick improperly obtained five firearm licences for sporting purposes despite his convictions. The allegations form part of evidence previously raised concerning his background.