Three young men have been killed and two others wounded in a shooting at a flat in Newclare, south of Johannesburg.
The victims who died were aged between 18 and 20, while the two injured victims are aged 18 and 23. Sophiatown police have opened three murder and two attempted murder cases following the attack.
Newclare Shooting Claims Three Lives
Police spokesperson Captain Tintswalo Sibeko said officers responded to a shooting complaint at about 9.34pm on Saturday.
[Kgosi Mampuru Prisoners Allegedly Forced To Pay R240 For Beds Amid Sex Coercion Claims]
“It is alleged that at approximately 09:34pm, police received a complaint of a shooting in Newclare. Upon arrival at the scene, community members pointed out a flat where they alleged that several people had been shot.”
Newclare Shooting: Police Appeal For Information
Police entered the flat and found three victims inside with gunshot wounds. “The victims were declared deceased at the scene by paramedics,” Sibeko said. She added that two other people had also been shot and were taken to hospital for medical treatment.
SEE TODAY'S TOP HEADLINES ACROSS LEADING PUBLICATIONS
The suspects remain unknown as police work to establish what led to the shooting. “The suspects are unknown at this stage, and the circumstances surrounding the shooting are still under investigation. No arrests have been made. Police investigations are underway,” Sibeko said.
Police have appealed to anyone who may have information about the attack to come forward. Information can be reported to the Crime Stop Line on 08600 10111 or submitted anonymously through the MySAPS App.


