Search and rescue operations were continuing off Tunisia’s coast on Saturday after a boat carrying 15 irregular migrants capsized overnight. The vessel sank around 14 nautical miles from Zarzis between Friday and Saturday, according to a National Guard official. One person had been rescued by the time the information was reported.
National Guard spokesperson Houcem Eddine Jebabli told Mosaique FM radio that rescue efforts were still underway. The Tunisia migrant boat incident has not yet resulted in any officially confirmed deaths, with authorities continuing to search the area. The National Guard has not provided further details about the condition of the rescued person.
[Solar Eclipse Turns Parts Of Europe Dark As Millions Watch Rare Celestial Event]
The Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights reported that four bodies had been recovered. However, its president Mostafa Abdelkebir said it was not yet clear whether the bodies were those of passengers from the capsized vessel. The identities and fate of the other people believed to have been aboard remain unclear.
Tunisia Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Zarzis Coast
The Zarzis migrant boat sank approximately 14 nautical miles from the Tunisian coast, prompting a search and rescue operation. The incident took place as migrants continue to use Tunisia as a departure point for journeys towards Europe. The country’s coastline lies around 145 kilometres from Italy’s Lampedusa island.
Tunisia has become a key departure point for people attempting to cross the Mediterranean in search of better living conditions in Europe. The Mediterranean migrant route is known for its dangerous conditions and has recorded numerous deaths and disappearances. Rescue organisations and authorities continue to face challenges in responding to vessels making the crossing.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has described the central Mediterranean as the world’s deadliest migration route.
The organisation said earlier this month that migrant deaths on the route had more than doubled during the first four months of 2026 compared with the same period in 2025. At least 914 migrants have died or gone missing along the route so far this year, according to the IOM.
Central Mediterranean Migration Deaths Rise In 2026
The central Mediterranean migration route continues to claim lives as migrants attempt to travel from North Africa towards Europe. The latest incident off Tunisia adds to concerns surrounding the safety of the sea crossing. Many of those attempting the journey travel in vessels that can be vulnerable to rough conditions.
The IOM’s figures indicate that the number of people who have died or disappeared on the route has reached at least 914 in 2026. The organisation reported a significant increase during the first four months of the year compared with the same period in 2025. The figures include people who remain missing after attempting the crossing.
[Trump’s South Korea Military Exercises Decision Sparks Concern Over US Alliances]
Tunisia’s proximity to Italy has made its coastline an important departure point for irregular migration to Europe. Lampedusa, located around 145 kilometres from Tunisia, is one of the closest European destinations for boats leaving the North African coast. The journey remains highly dangerous, with vessels frequently requiring rescue or being reported missing.
Tunisia-EU Migration Deal Focused On Stopping Boat Departures
Tunisia’s role in migration across the Mediterranean has also led to increased cooperation with the European Union. In 2023, Tunisia and the EU signed a €255 million agreement, with nearly half of the funding earmarked for addressing irregular migration. The agreement was strongly backed by Italy’s hard-right government.
SEE TODAY'S TOP HEADLINES ACROSS LEADING PUBLICATIONS
The deal was intended to strengthen Tunisia’s ability to prevent boats carrying migrants from leaving its coastline. It formed part of broader European efforts to reduce irregular migration across the Mediterranean. Tunisia has remained a major departure point despite those measures.
Search and rescue operations following the latest Tunisia migrant boat capsizing were still underway on Saturday. Authorities had confirmed one survivor, while the status of the remaining passengers remained uncertain. Reports of four recovered bodies had not been confirmed as being linked to the vessel.


