Police Seize 100 Firearms From Security Company In Soweto

“The South African Police Service continues to intensify its efforts to combat the proliferation and misuse of firearms through targeted operations.

Police Seize 100 Firearms From Security Company In Soweto
Police Seize 100 Firearms From Security Company In Soweto

Police have seized 100 firearms and ammunition from a security company in Soweto following a compliance inspection on Saturday.

The seizure was carried out under Operation Buyisa, a national intervention focused on removing illegal firearms from circulation. The operation also aims to ensure that lawful firearm owners comply with the Firearms Control Act.

According to the South African Police Service (SAPS), the Soweto security company had recently had its Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority (PSiRA) accreditation suspended.

[Third Suspect Charged In Reiger Park Shooting That Killed Two Police Officers]

Despite the suspension, the person responsible for the firearms allegedly failed to dispose of them as required. Police also discovered that the company’s firearm storage facility did not comply with legal requirements.

The seized firearms and ammunition have now been taken into police custody. Authorities said the weapons will undergo ballistic testing to establish whether they may have been used in criminal activities. The testing could provide investigators with information about possible links between the firearms and previous crimes.

Soweto Firearms Seized During Operation Buyisa Inspection

The Soweto firearms seizure forms part of Operation Buyisa, which is being conducted nationally to address the circulation and misuse of firearms.

Police are also using the operation to check whether firearm owners and holders are meeting their legal obligations. The inspection of the security company revealed several compliance concerns.

[89-Year-Old Woman Dies After Attack At Bloemhof Home, 51-Year-Old Suspect Arrested]

SAPS said the company’s PSiRA accreditation had recently been suspended. The person responsible for the firearms allegedly did not take the required steps to dispose of them following the suspension. The storage facility where the weapons were kept was also found not to meet prescribed legal standards.

Police spokesperson Amanda van Wyk said the seizure was part of broader efforts to prevent firearms from ending up in the hands of criminals.

She said SAPS would continue conducting targeted operations to tackle the proliferation and misuse of firearms. The seized weapons will now be examined as part of the investigation.

“The South African Police Service continues to intensify its efforts to combat the proliferation and misuse of firearms through targeted operations.

“The seized firearms will be subjected to ballistic testing to determine whether they have been used in the commission of any crimes.”

SAPS To Conduct Ballistic Tests On 100 Seized Firearms

The 100 firearms seized in Soweto will undergo ballistic testing as police investigate their possible links to criminal cases.

Such testing is expected to help investigators establish whether any of the weapons have previously been used in the commission of crimes. Police said the results could provide further information as the investigation progresses.

Van Wyk said the ballistic examination could reveal whether any of the firearms are connected to previous criminal offences.

Operation Buyisa is continuing as police target illegal firearms and compliance failures across the country. The latest seizure highlights the focus on ensuring firearms are lawfully stored and handled.

Operation Buyisa Targets Illegal Firearms And Compliance Failures

The Operation Buyisa firearms crackdown is aimed at reducing the number of illegal weapons in circulation while checking compliance among lawful firearm owners.

Police have used the operation to conduct inspections and seize firearms where legal requirements are not being met. The Soweto operation resulted in the seizure of a substantial number of firearms and ammunition from one security company.

SAPS said the firearms will remain subject to further investigation following the seizure. The outcome of the ballistic testing could determine whether any of the weapons have a history of being used in criminal activity.

Police have not indicated at this stage whether any of the seized firearms have been linked to specific crimes.

SEE TODAY'S TOP HEADLINES ACROSS LEADING PUBLICATIONS

The investigation remains ongoing as authorities examine the seized firearms and the circumstances surrounding their possession and storage.

The security company’s suspended accreditation and alleged failure to dispose of the firearms formed part of the compliance concerns identified during the inspection. Police have reiterated their focus on preventing firearms from falling into the wrong hands.